Republicans For Rational Reform

Wednesday, August 02, 2006

Expecting Something And Getting Nothing
by Samantha Allen-Newman


My name is Samantha Allen-Newman, and I am the proud parent of an LAUSD student. I am also a candidate for State Assembly, seeking to represent the 45th Assembly District as Jackie Goldberg is leaving office due to term limits.

I was in attendance at the only Assembly Education Committee hearing held in Los Angeles, and it was what transpired in the Irving Middle School auditorium that prompted me to write this article.

To begin, I have certain expectations when it comes to the people who represent me and my interests. I have to give credit to Ms. Goldberg for holding an Education Committee hearing in the district she represents. She has met the burden of my expectations, and I publically wish to thank her for that.

I also have certain expectations when it comes to the public school system that my child is a student in. I expect that decisions regarding the school district are made in the best interests of my child. While I realize that LAUSD falls short of many expectations, I still hold the school district accountable for taking some responsibility to meet those expectations. Considering the number of parents like myself who attended the Education Committee hearing, it appears that LAUSD has met some of those expectations. There is still work to be done, but at least work has started and the remaining expectations will be met.

However, I was not expecting some of what I witnessed at that hearing. As a candidate, I know that you, the voters, expect me to actively listen to what you have to stay. That means listening to everybody, and staying as late as necessary to do so. I also know that if elected, you, the voters, become my employer. You have an expectation that I will take you and your concerns seriously. After all, you pay my salary.

I was expecting the Mayor of Los Angeles to take the comments of you, the voters, seriously. I was also expecting the Speaker of the Assembly to do the same thing. I was expecting both of them to stay and listen for the duration. After all, we pay their salary.

Both men failed to meet my expectations. They didn't stay to listen to what I had to say, or what you had to say. They left the auditorium before public comment began. I expected something from them in return for what they take from my wallet. I expected their time, their attention and the courtesy of concern. I got nothing. Was I wrong to expect something from someone whose salary is paid with my taxes? No. Were they wrong to leave? Yes.

If it had been me up on that stage, would I have taken your expectations of me as a public official seriously? Absolutely, and I would not have left the auditorium until the very last one of you said what you came to say. For the record, since my opponent is endorsed by both men and the teacher's union, you would expect that he would show up to cheer on the team. As expected, he too failed to show up. To do otherwise runs counter to the expectation I have of him.

I may only be a candidate, but I'm also a product of the public school system here in California both before and after Proposition 13. The teachers and administrators expect some acknowledgement for the hard work they have done over the last several years. As a mom, I acknowledge them. As a candidate, I applaud them. All those who work for and with LAUSD both inside and outside of the classroom have the expectation that they too should be recognized for the contributions to the measured progress that the school district has made. As a mom, I thank them. As a candidate, I salute them.

We all know that the school district needs some fixing. It's to be expected. However, the plan put together in Sacramento is not the right plan for right now. How do those whose ranks I seek to join expect those whose ranks I am a part of to support them when they don't listen to what we have to say? You can't listen if you leave the building. I expect you to listen to me. I pay your salary.

What can we as LAUSD parents expect? If this bill does not pass, expect another attempt to pass it with a crop of new folks in the Senate and Assembly who don't know what to expect. One of those new folks just might be me. And if you expect me to take you and this issue seriously, you're expectations are well placed. After all, you will be paying my salary. The least I can do is live up to your expectations.

And if you want to get the attention of those who don't give it, do something totally unexpected. Elect an LAUSD parent to represent LAUSD parents...and expect to be heard for a change. www.sam4assembly.com

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home