Republicans For Rational Reform

Sunday, August 27, 2006

Dear Senator Runner:

When I went to college I majored in Political Science – an interesting background for a career in the film business; political scientists connect different dots than film majors. My PS paid off when I started getting involved in education at my daughter's elementary school – the political dynamic at a local school is palpable – teachers, parents, administration, community, downtown and you folks in Sacramento dance a dance first choreographed by Machiavelli.

AB 1381 brings the ballet to its illogical conclusion – many new dancers come to the chorus line – and I think it's time we close the book on this terpsichorean metaphor and this sorry legislation!

I have appreciated our dialog on AB 1381. Your viewpoint doesn't agree with mine but our conclusions to date have concurred:

· This is a bad piece of legislation, compromised into unworkability. It goes too far and not far enough all at once!

· This is a matter that needs to be decided by the parents, voters and taxpayers in LAUSD.

· And on the face of it is patently unconstitutional.

Rumors abound – from whence I'm typically clueless - that you and other Republicans have been turned; that another backroom deal will bring you to support the bill.

Please say it ain't so!

I know you support LAUSD breakup as an option – I'm not an enthusiastic about that – but I return to our common ground: Whatever decision is reached needs to be reached here in LA!

If a referendum is in the works let's have it sooner rather than later, with all options on the table. I see no advantage for the kids of LAUSD in a halfhearted and court-challenged unconstitutional run at mayoral control followed by a later referendum on breakup. I believe the voters would support continuing LAUSD's current direction with some of the changes suggested by the Presidents' Joint Commission on LAUSD Governance.

Let's give them that chance. Sooner, not later.

Thank you and onward!


smf
______________________________________________________________

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home